Vital Statistics

Raleigh County has birth, death, and marriage records from the formation of the county in 1850.

You may obtain copies of vital records from the clerk’s office in person with proper identification and by providing the necessary information (i.e. year of birth, death, marriage, birth name). You may also complete the online application and mail it to the Clerk’s office along with your check or money order. Cost for these records are $5 each. The office is open to the public for genealogy research.

Marriage License – By Appointment

Please contact the County Clerk at (304) 255-9123 to schedule an appointment for the marriage license application.  Both parties applying for a marriage license must be present when applying. For in-state residents, at least one applicant must be a resident of Raleigh County. If both applicants reside out of state you may obtain a license from any County in WV. You must be at least 18 years of age or if 17 years of age you must have custodial parental consent. When you apply you will need the following information:

  • Driver’s License or birth certificate as proof of age.
  • Proof of Residence (i.e. utility bill with physical address)
  • You must know your social security number
  • Your town and state of birth
  • Your parents’ full name (mother’s maiden name) and place of birth
  • If you have been previously married you will need to know the date of final divorce order or date of previous spouse’s death. If divorced less than 6 months, a copy of the divorce order is required.

The License is valid 60 days from date of issuance and must be signed by the officiant and returned to the clerk’s office in order for the marriage to be recorded. Once the marriage is recorded you may obtain copies from the Clerk’s Office.

Cost of the Marriage License is $56.00 or $36.00 with proof of marriage counseling. The cost of copies of the Marriage record is $5.00 each and will be issued upon request. We accept cash or checks only.

DD214/Military Discharge Documents

If you recorded your DD214 upon separation from the military in Raleigh County you may obtain copies at no charge from our office.  Due to the sensitive information contained in these documents you must complete an affidavit in our office or send a written request.