Vital Statistics

Raleigh County has birth, death, and marriage records from the formation of the county in 1850.

You may obtain copies of vital records from the clerk’s office in person with proper identification and by providing the necessary information (i.e. year of birth, death, marriage, birth name). You may also complete the online application and mail it to the Clerk’s office along with your check or money order. Cost for these records are $5 each + postage (you may send a self-addressed stamped envelope); or, call and verify correct fee before mailing application and payment.

The office is open to the public for genealogy research.

DD214/Military Discharge Documents

If you recorded your DD214 upon separation from the military, in Raleigh County, you may obtain copies at no charge from our office.  Due to the sensitive information contained in these documents, you must complete an affidavit in our office or download, complete and submit the DD-214 Application.

Marriage License – By Appointment

In order to apply for a marriage license, couples must:

  • Call (304) 255-9123 to schedule an appointment
  • Appear together at the Raleigh County Clerk’s Office.  
  • Confirm they are getting married within sixty (60) days
  • Confirm they are getting married in the state of West Virginia
  • Present valid identification with proof of age:
    • Driver’s License
    • State issued ID card
    • Military ID
    • Passport
    • Passport Card
  • Provide social security numbers
  • Provide mothers’ and fathers’ full names at birth – first, middle and last – plus city and state, or foreign country, of the births for their parents
  • Pay a $57 fee by cash, personal check or credit
    • Note: this fee is reduced to $37 if the applicants present a premarital education course completion certificate. This class must be completed before applying for a marriage license in order to get the reduced fee. 
  • Applicants who have been previously married must provide the exact month, day and year that the previous marriage ended, and indicate whether it was by death, divorce or annulment.  If the marriage ended in less than 6 months of application, a death certificate or divorce decree is required.

The license is valid for sixty days and effective only in the State of West Virginia

Under state law, applicants who are 17 years old may obtain a marriage license with parental consent. If a court-appointed legal guardian is providing consent, a certified copy of the appointment is required. Either the parents or the legal guardians must provide a notarized affidavit of consent of the marriage at that time. Underage applicants must provide valid identification and birth certificate and are subject to a three-day waiting period.

Religious Officials
All religious officials performing marriages in the State of West Virginia are required to file with the West Virginia Secretary of State’s Office. Registration packets can be obtained by calling the Secretary of State’s Office toll free at (866) 767-8683 or visiting their website at

After the Marriage Ceremony
The individual performing the ceremony must complete the marriage license and mail or deliver it to the County Clerk’s Office.

For a fee of $5 per copy, you may obtain a copy of your marriage certificate at the County Clerk’s Office.  If mail is preferable, complete the application here; include a copy of your state issued identification along with fee + postage (as indicated on the application) and send to Raleigh County Clerk’s Office, 215 Main St, Beckley, WV  25801.